Below is some pictures of my recently completed Daemon Prince for my upcoming (one day) Chaos Cult Army. I will be talking about this army in a later post but for now I shall focus on this beastie.
To paint him I simply started with a black undercoat everywhere and then buitl up his skin to make a sort of 'cracked lava' effect. I started with Red than drybrushed orange then yellow over the top. I picked out the raised lewvels in black, leaving the cracks where the muscles join showing up brightly. I then drybrushed dark grey over the top to pick up any details.
The armour was straight forward enough. I tried to have a similar but more contained effect going on with the armour and so only used the red paint in the armour gaps. I then painted a dark purple over that. The chaotic icons were simply painted gold and the metal parts on the skin and such drybrushed with a metal paint. After all that was done, the entire model was drybrushed in a light grey to give it a fine ash look. I think this worked well and will do a similar thing on later models.
I used one tecnique here that I havn't used for some time. When I drybrushed the greys over the other colours, I was not at all careful to avoid getting any in the receces. This achieved an effect that I think works a little better on skin but worked well enough here; that the surface looks slightly see through, a little more three dimensional. This was a little frustrating at times as I did make a few mistakes along the way and had to go back to do touchups. I am happy with the end result though.
I tried something else for the first time that I suppose many people have done before me; I tried fully painting the parts of the model before I put them together. This may seem like the obvious way to do it to some people, but this is new for me and I did find it a little hard to match the colours up just right. I found that as I kept going, I developed a heavier drybrush, and so the models skin became lighter as I went, he started to look like Frankensteins monster there for a while, but I fixed that up easy enough when the model was glued together.
Something else that I will try with at least this current army is how I did the base. I used a piece of pumice stone for the large rock he is standing on (which I shall have to do a seperate article on one day, it is worth it) and used a sand i got from the local pet store for keeping lizards. Apart from the pumice, the base is not painted at all. I think it looks alright, but feel free to tell me otherwise.